'Milan' is the Top fashion buzzword of 2015
The Global Language Monitor (which analyzes and catalogues the latest trends in word usage and word choices and their impact on the various aspects of culture, with a particular emphasis upon Global English) pronounced Milan for the top buzzword in the fashion world for 2015. It seems that Milan will take again its place as a capital of Global Fashion (it was last on the Top Spot in GLM's annual ranking in 2008) - or at least will stay one of the Big Four.
This is not surprising, having in mind that among the fashion events, held in the city are: Milano Moda Donna Primavera/Estate & Autunno/Inverno (Women's Fashion Week for Spring-Sumer and Fall-Winter), Milano Moda Uomo Primavera/Estate & Autunno/Inverno (Men's Fashion Week for Spring-Summer and Fall-Winter), Milano Unica, where some of the world's most famous brands show their latest creations and reveal upcoming fashion trends.
In last year's Top Global Fashion Capitals ranking New York topped Paris and London followed by Los Angeles, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Sydney, Antwerp, and Shanghai. The list for 2015 will be announced prior to Spring Fashion Weeks in the Fall.
Top 15 Fashion Buzzwords of 2015:
1. Milan - Lots of buzz and not all good as it tries to claw its way back to the top.
2. Suede - Fifty shades of Suede.
3. Booty - Last year it was underbutt, this year just butt (S/O To Kim K.).
4. Kate's Baby girl - A little princess waiting in the wings?
5. Yellow Hues - Dozens of yellow hues from which to choose: Lemon yellow, marigold, primrose, saffron, vermillion, canary, …
6. Blue & White - Edging in on the Black & White.
7. Plus Size - Models ahead of the curve(s).
8. Gingham - Not talking about Little House on the Prairie here.
9. Shirt Dresses - Even sweater dresses.
10. Trans Models - Transgender Models now making an impact on the Red Carpet.
11. Denim - This time as dresses.
12. Flourishes - Fringe, Feathers and Tassels.
13. Corduroy - Moving well beyond the halls of academe.
14. Retro Fashion - Hmmm, this year retro moves on to the '70s.
15. Transparents - Sheers, and Peek-a-Boos.
GLM's various word analyses are longitudinal in nature covering a number of years that varies with the particular analysis. The rankings are based upon actual word usage throughout the English-speaking world, which now numbers more than 1.83 billion people. GLM analyses billions of web pages, millions of blogs, 300,000 print and electronic news organizations, and new social media sites as they emerge. To qualify for GLM's lists, the words, names, and phrases must be found globally, have a minimum of 25,000 citations and the requisite 'depth' and 'breadth' of usage. Depth is here defined as appearing in various forms of media; breadth that they must appear world-over, not limited to a particular profession or social group or geography.
Photo: A model present a creation from Roberto Cavalli Fall-Winter 2015/2016 menswear collection, presented at Milan Men's Fashion Week (Milano Moda Uomo Autunno/Inverno), January 20, 2015
© DANIEL DAL ZENNARO/EPA/BGNES
Hits: 5468 | Leave a comment
About the Author
We are looking for men's suit tailors, fashion designers, managers, fashion consultants who want to share their knowledge and tips in an article or video and contribute to the site! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Don't miss the opportunity as this will be a free advertisement for yourself and your menswear brand!