Bulgaria native Marina Nikolaeva Popska presented her Spring 2010 Collection at Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week
by Fashion.bg, 27 November, 2009
Marina was born and raised in Sofia, Bulgaria. Her love of art and design began at an early age and was encouraged by her mother who was a professor of textile and fashion design. Before entering the Master Degree program at Academy of Art University, Marina studied textile design at the School of Applied Arts and received a BFA and MFA degree from the National Academy of Arts in Sofia, Bulgaria.
For this collection, she was inspired by nature, humanity and the ‘chaos’ of color and texture. Marina’s knitwear is a combination of various knitting techniques and yarn arrangements resulting in rich textures and the illusion of depth in her garments.
Suzy Menkes of the International Herald Tribune and New York Times wrote, “Standouts included the jacquard knitwear in vivid colors from the Bulgarian-born Marina Nikolaeva Popska.”
"I would love to create my own fashion house," exclaims Marina. "However, as a first step towards realizing my dreams, I am planning to work for an established company to gain more experience in the fashion world."
A crowd of over 1,000 attendees watched Marina’s collection debut at Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week with numerous publications and bloggers touting her knitwear, including; Women’s Wear Daily, The Daily Telegraph, Dazed Digital.com, and ABC News.
1. Interview with Marina backstage. Photo by Thos Robinson, Getty Images
2. Marina taking her bow. Photo by Randy Brooke
3. Green jacquard dress. Multi-colored jacquard cardigan.
4. Jacquard dress with green ruffle.
5. Nude dress. Multi-colored jacquard sleeveless cardigan.
6. Orange jacquard short dress. Multi-colored jacquard long cardigan.
7. Nude dress with multi-colored jacquard ruffle.
8. Nude dress with peach ruffle.
9. Marina’s sketch and swatch
Hits: 19121 | Leave a comment
Tags:Mercedes-Benz, New York, Fashion Week, Marina Popska, designer, bulgarian, spring, 2010, trends, fashion, show